Translate

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Confronting Birthday Questions

Birthday moments of contemplation,
Questions flood my restless mind;
Responding with spontaneous honesty
Unexpected challenges I’d find.
Will this open up more trouble?
Can’t I just leave the stress behind?



Am I doing what I’m supposed to be doing?
Have I given my life my best?
Can I make it over the next hurdle?
Will there, then, be a much harder test?
How much farther to go, and how will I die?
Can I settle these issues and find some rest?

“Oh, God, Creator of all there is,”
I spoke aloud to the One who hears,
“What is the truth; can anyone be sure?
My mind reverberates with fears.”
Confrontation claimed my trembling heart,
Till I rested in His love so near.

Each question opened a door to blessing
When faith and confidence were stirred;
“Trust and obey,” that’s what Mama had said,
Growing up, this admonition I heard.
Opening again her well-worn Bible
I was encouraged, strengthened by God’s Word.

By Elaine Hardt ©2010