Translate

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Grab Your Pencil and . . .

Nick pulled in the parking lot with a big smile.  When he entered the HeBrew coffee shop six friends were already seated at the big back table.  Of course, they expected to hear his cheery greeting.  “Hi, guys and gals!  Only four more days till Christmas.”
“Don’t we know!  The suspense at my house is huge.  My kidlets are peeking at the presents under the tree,” exclaimed Ronson. 
“What I like is the week off work between Christmas and New Year’s” was Miguel’s contribution.
A few other wisecracks were shared before Nick delivered his pronouncement.  “OK.  Do you have a pencil and paper at home?  Or, will you be using your iPad to follow through with my challenge?”
“Wassup, guy?” was the unanimous reply.
“Betcha haven’t done this yet.  My Grandma Marie got me going.  Here’s the thing:  Jot down what you remember from one Christmas when you were a little kid.  Nothing fancy, just the basics.  And, then write something that you remember your grandma and grandpa saying or doing at Christmas.”
Heads nodded.  None of them had written anything like that, and it was definitely overdue.  Nick added, “If you don’t write it down now, you won’t be able to remember nearly so good by next year -- when old age sets in!”
Adelle spoke up, “That’s why my Gramma Becky takes an afternoon nap.  She says that fights off old age.  I think she’s going on 80.”
“Seriously, you will give this a go, and maybe frown once you find time to do it.  But, get the ideas written down.  Go back in a few days and add anything else that’s come to mind. It will be fun!”  was Nick’s encouragement.
Bea smiled at Bennett and gestured, “This is why we privately refer to him over there as St. Nick; he will check up on us.”  
David grinned, “Nick-boy!  That is so practical, so logical.  I’m surprised I didn’t think of it before you.  I get paid for my good ideas at the credit union.  Hmmmm.  Maybe I could suggest that at our staff party tomorrow night.”

“What’s written down has the chance of being saved and appreciated in the future.  What’s not written down has the huge chance of being forgotten.  The good times, the challenges, the bright ideas are all opportunities for sharing with our kids, even our twenty-nine cousins,” Nick went on to say. 
“OK.  Thanks for the idea.  We’ll call it an inspiration,” announced Adelle,  “and right here on January 5 each of us brings our masterpiece for Show & Tell. We’ll see if all of us got around to finding that old pencil and tablet and . . . “
“Of course, we will all be using our smart iPads to do it!”  Miguel butted in.
(And you and I — as the snoopy people in the next booth over at the coffee house— will nod and agree; it’s a great idea to write down some remembrances of childhood Christmas and our family who helped make it fun.  I’m going to start on mine tomorrow.  And you?  Grab your pencil and . . . )
+ + + 


By Elaine Hardt ©2015