Translate

Thursday, October 08, 2015

A New Verse for "Almost Persuaded"

Have you heard this song at your church?  Did you like it? 
Philip Paul Bliss who lived from 1838 to 1876 wrote “Almost Persuaded.” Hear the original song  and read the words at https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/1046  Recently, we heard it on a old CD sung by George Beverly Shea.  
The song has quite a message, but it lacks a grand finale.  Here is the final verse that belongs there.  Or, this could be a separate song.  See what you think of my poem: 

Yes, I’m persuaded now to believe!
I invite Jesus the Savior to receive;
His forgiveness I see I need,
His Words I do now heed,
His grace now fills my heart,
My life has a new start!
Thank You, dear Lord. 

     This new verse can be sung with a big smile on your face.  You can have the amazing peace of mind when you’ve thought it through and made that wonderful decision.
Not sure about it yet? You can talk to your Creator right now.  Discuss what’s on your mind.  Realize that what’s out in the Universe did not just accidentally come into being from some lonely, tiny cell.  You were not an accident.  You are a valuable human with tremendous possibilities for doing life very well now, and for transitioning to an eternal life that has no end. 
     All the bad stuff will be forever gone, all the sinful people will be forever gone.  God has a wonderful way of blotting out all of your sins when you accept Jesus Christ who died for our sins and rose again, glory to God.  Now, here's another verse . . . 

Yes, I’m rejoicing, I have new peace,
My sins all forgiven, what a release;
My heart is lighter now,
My frown has left my brow,
The truth has dawned, and how!
Thank You, dear Lord 
Thank You, dear Lord!  

You will want to read for yourself the life of Jesus Christ in the first four books of the New Testament of the Bible.  Then read about the followers of Christ in the rest of the New Testament.  
The Old Testament relates the account of Creation, and stories of the people who were challenged to hear and obey God.  Read what they did, and read the consequences of sinning and rejecting God.  And read the history of people who were believing and accepting, trusting and obeying God. You do want to know, don’t you!  

                                                                + + + 

by Elaine Hardt ©2015