Translate

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Starting a New Day, a New Year

     Starting off a new day?  A new month?  A new year?  Logic is calling to you, “Think before you do something.”  
Assess how things went before, size up the situation now, then decide on an approach to the challenge.  It may be a new opportunity for you. 
Write it down. Yes, you can remember things very well, but putting your plan in writing is a way to strengthen your resolve.  It’s like making a deal with yourself.  See if your emotions and your intellect can merge into a planned schedule.
You can think of additional questions to consider, but this list may get your creativity started. Here are a few ways to grade your past attempts at perfection:
  1. What was the best thing that happened to me last year?
  2. What was the best thing that I did last year?
  3. What was my biggest disappointment?
  4. What do I want to celebrate at the end of 2013?
  5. Where am I looking for encouragement and help?
  6. When was the last time I read a chapter in the Bible?
  7. When was the last time I prayed about a personal problem?
  8. When was the last time I prayed about the problems of the world?
  9. When was the last time I prayed for someone who is a pain in my life?
  10. When was the last time I verbalized appreciation to someone? 
See what your busy brain can add to the above list. Then tackle the answers.  As you do, you’ll find new thoughts coming to mind.  

One big help for anyone is to put a different label on the problem that has the audacity to pop up in his or her life.  If you can bravely attach the new label, “Opportunity” to that stinking aggravation that frees up your creativity to tackle the issue with new determination.  
Look ahead and consider the future. Maybe, start by jotting down ideas/answers to these questions. Then go on from here and list your personal concerns for your future. 
  1. What problems need to be fixed this month?  
  2. What resources do I need to replenish for the next year?  
  3. What health issues must I address? 
On the road of life the path is not always smooth and straight and peaceful.  Troubles come to make us stronger.  Identify the irritations.  You might need to ask yourself, “What can I learn from this? What can I do differently?”  Or, you can picture yourself on some website video,  or giving a pep talk to your favorite sports team,  or lecturing (without calling it that) some class in high school or college.  “How to Succeed” you might call it.
Start with honesty to yourself and the LORD.  You do pray?  Ask for wisdom, good health, strength, and help to make it through.  When you know how much God loves you it makes all the difference in life now and in the Future.   You can be “thoroughly equipped for every good work,” (2 Timothy 3:16). Your part is to trust Him and obey Him. 
Yes, you CAN have a happy new year, happy new month, and a happy new day today! 
+ + + 
by Elaine Hardt ©2013