Translate

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Worry Opens the Door!

        Worry strutted into the room, and silence claimed the entire space for several long moments. Then the low whistle of a cold breeze signaled what was coming, a swirling wind made its claim, “I am bigger than you are!”
        Softly, a voice in my mind asked me, “Are you surrendering to Worry? If so, he’ll bring that frigid Fear to occupy your heart.”
        Abruptly, I spoke aloud. “What’s going on? Did yesterday put you up to it?” Then with the help of Determination I realized that now was the time to try out Thankfulness. A friend had told me how Thankfulness had fought off Worry so she was able to stand her ground.

        “O LORD, yes, I am thankful You are here. You see and know what’s happening, and You care about me!” I proclaimed with all the strength I could muster. Sitting on the couch I reached over to turn on the little CD player on the end table. Music enveloped the room, and the first song was just what I needed to hear. “The Love of God” had been my first solo in church, and I was 12 years old when I bravely stood to sing.
        Remembering a Bible verse, “In everything give thanks” reminded me to examine the situation. At first, I thought that verse meant I had to grit my teeth and grudgingly thank God for the ugly situation at hand. Then, the idea came to me that I could just give thanks to God for every nice thing I could think of, from the smallest thing to the best thing I could recall. That would be easier to do.
        I decided not to let the circumstances I’d heard on the evening TV news roll through my mind like an endless cycle. Last week I had started a new venture of very briefly praying for each victim and circumstance as their picture flashed across the television, as well as the trouble-makers and crooks who were getting famous via their horrible choices. Then I tried to lay aside the overload of information. But still, the accumulation of disaster, crime, problems, and aggravations had clung to my mind like a huge black magnet to a shiny, white refrigerator.
        Worry opens the door to a lot of additional enemies. If I don’t take a strong stand with the help of Determination, then a peaceful heart cannot be mine. Giving thanks to God brought a powerful, new attitude that defeated the devil’s arsenal. Thankfulness wins!

God, oh magnificent Maker, I do love You,
I trust You, give You thanks, and ask for wisdom;
What your Word says is certainly true!

I will obey You with determination;
Worry and fear and anger cannot possess me,
I come to Jesus with new dedication.

By Elaine Hardt © 2011

And here’s a few verses we should read and remember:
 “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in Me.” 
John 14:1

Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:18

And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 
Ephesians 5:20

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done.
Philippians 4:6

Give thanks to the LORD and proclaim His greatness.
 Let the whole world know what He has done.
Psalm 105:1


And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts.
For as members of one body you are called to live in peace.
And always be thankful.
Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives.
Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom He gives.
Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.
And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
Colossians 3:15-17

###