Translate

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Hush Your Mouth

        Old habits can cling like lint on your new black sweater. The mouth seems to go on automatic when the mind is in idle. Clichés run in families. Many times our conversation exposes our total lack of faith in God and our undisciplined mouths. Sometimes our prayers are sprinkled with unbelief.
        Do you recognize yourself in any of the following examples? (If you’re not sure, ask a friend.)

Listen for expressions of doubt.
I really doubt that I can . . .
I don’t know what to think about it . . .
I don’t believe I’m getting any better.
I’m afraid I won’t be able to . . .

Watch out for the word “death.”
I am sick to death of . . . .
That just tickles me to death . . .
I feel like death warmed over . . .
I’m just dying to . . . .
I’ll just die if I don’t get to . . .
I’m just dying to find out . . .
I’ll be dead meat if . . .
I’m dead tired.
He’s dead wrong.

Don’t accept the notion of “destiny.”
It runs in the family so what do you expect?
It was bound to happen . . .
Whatever will be, will be . . .
With a condition like that what do you expect?
Sooner or later it was sure to catch up with me.

Avoid pronouncing tiredness or doom on yourself.
I’m sick and tired of . . .
My back is killing me.
You kids make me sick and tired. . .
That situation is driving me crazy.
I don’t know how much longer I can stand this . . .
I’m doomed.
This is really impossible. Even God in Heaven couldn’t . . .
I believe I’m taking a cold.
I always get so nervous when . . .
I’ll never be able to do this right.
I’ll never be able to remember it.
Poor old me.
I’ll never forgive myself for . . .

Catch yourself giving away your authority to others.
My doctor said this is always . . .
He’s the expert and he says . . .
Of course, I’m no expert so I . . .
Well, doctor, you’re the boss . Whatever you say . . .
Anybody in his right mind knows . . .

Keep from sloppy speaking.
Good grief.
Damned if I don’t.
It just tears me to pieces. . .
That really ticks me off.
I have half a notion to . . .
What’s the use?
I should have known that I couldn’t . . .
You’re damn right . . .
What in Hell do you think I mean?
Well, what could I expect?
Who in Hell do you think you are?
Oh sure, I’m always wrong.
That just burns me up.

Quench these prayer clichés.
God, be with us. . .
Let us all try harder to . . .
We hope You will . . .
Dear God, it’s getting worse.
Oh, please, Lord, remember . . .

        How can we cure ourselves from this kind of careless speaking? Ask yourself: Did Jesus talk like that in the Bible? Does what I’m saying agree with God’s Word? Am I giving the devil an open door for his evil ways? Remember who is listening to your spoken words: God, Jesus, angels, and the demons.
Words have creative power for good, or for evil. Our words will either put us over or take us under. Stop and listen to yourself.
“Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth,
but that which is good to the use of edifying,
that it may minister grace unto the hearers.” Ephesians 4:29

“Let the words of my mouth,
and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD,
my strength, and my Redeemer.” Psalm 19:14
* * *
by Elaine Hardt ©2006