Translate

Friday, December 18, 2009

God's Gas Station

I was tooling along in my ’54 Ford this morning when I noticed a flashing light on the dashboard. Oooops! Looks like she’s running low on gas. Taking a quick detour from Procrastination Boulevard I headed out to God’s Gas Station.

After filling up at the first pump I dashed into God’s 24 Hour Convenience Store to settle up for the fuel. Impulsively, I decided to pick up a few other necessities.
I hurried up and down the aisles, noting the huge array of good things. There was just about everything you could want: Patience, Kindness, Peace of Mind, Health, Boldness, and on and on. A huge golden banner hung from the sky-blue ceiling said, “The Greatest of These is Love.” I decided on a jumbo-sized package of Joy and a bottle Vision eye drops.

Well, I’ll come back when I have more time. Actually, I’m in a hurry right now.

At the checkout counter I scanned my items into the self-service machine. Five seconds later a slip ejected from the slot, “Paid in Full by Jesus Christ.” Yes, the best thing about God’s Gas Station & 24 Hour Convenience Store is that everything is free. Jesus paid it all.

Just then I became aware of some really great music playing. I recognized the old hymn, “O Worship the King.” The keyboarding was outstanding; the words tugged at my heart.

As I turned to leave I noticed the door to the office was open. At that moment I heard my name. Do I have time? Well, I really should pop in and say hi.

“I’m so glad you came in today. Let’s talk. How is it going?”

Like every question that God asks this one wasn’t looking for information. He already knows.

For a moment I couldn’t respond; then a wonderful thing happened. Like standing next to a great big light I began to feel warm. It’s as if my stiff body softened up and my mind began to clear out from a cold fog. Enveloped in His love I just started to pour out my heart.

And He listened.

There’s nothing like a solid friendship where you know the person is really listening because he really cares. I laid all of my defenses down and owned up to stuff I had nearly forgotten was on my mind.
And He put His hand on my shoulder.

Talk about love. His touch was the touch of love and power. Scripture after Scripture flooded my mind like a refreshing shower. No longer did I feel like a little kid who’d struck out at bat and had to face the disappointed coach. I felt renewed and restored.

I can’t tell you how long I was there; time seemed to stand still in His presence. Finally, I felt a little nudge, so I started to walk towards the door. I noticed there on the wall a map, the kind with a red arrow, “You are here.” Eagerly I scanned it, but it looked blurry. However, the realization that there was a destination all mapped out encouraged me.

Heading outside I couldn’t help but smile, thankful for the reminders: God has seen me all along, God gives me all I need to keep on going, and God wants me to talk to Him. I’ll definitely make time in my busy schedule. My priorities have changed.

When I opened the door to slide in the driver’s seat I saw the Driver was already there, the engine warmed up, ready to go. Grinning, I got in on the passenger’s side.

“Let’s go!”
***
Check this out in Ephesians 2:10, Ephesians 3:20, Hebrews 13:21.
by Elaine Hardt ©2001