Translate

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Sleepless? Sing a Silent Song

You haven’t drifted off to sweet slumberland just yet?  Sing a silent song.  As you’re lying there in bed find a line of a song that starts with the next letter in the alphabet.  See how far in the ABCs you can get. Here’s the idea:
            A,  abide with me, fast falls the eventide
            B, because He lives I shall live forever
            C, create in me a clean heart and . . .
            D, do Lord, oh, do Lord, oh do remember me
Well, some of those are old songs and choruses from my early days.  Maybe they don’t fit in your memory lane.  So, substitute a line, not even necessarily the first line of the song or chorus that comes to your mind.  See how far in the alphabet you can go.  
Maybe one of your songs will strike a happy chord in your memory and you can recall singing that in Sunday School or church or that youth group from back then. Whatever.  
Give your busy brain a simple task and see how it relaxes you!
Next time you don’t have to try to recall those same first lines; you’ll probably think of some others.  That just proves how helpful your brain can be.  
     And hopefully, some of the lines you’ve remembered will bring back some of the rest of those song lyrics, too. Sleep in blissful sleep.  
                And . . . 
If you're curious, here's how I completed the alphabet yesterday:  


E, every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before
F, for God so loved the world He gave
G, give thanks with a grateful heart
H, have Thine own way, LORD
I,  I have decided to follow Jesus
J,  just as I am
K,  King of King and Lord of Lords
L,  leaning on the everlasting arms 
M, make me a blessing
N, nothing between my soul and 
O, open my eyes that I may see
P,  put your hands in the hand of the One who stills the water
Q, quietly I wait for Thee
R, revive us, O LORD
S, some glorious morning Jesus will come
T, take time to be holy
U, under His wings
V,  “V” is for victory! 
W, what a friend we have in Jesus
X   ?????
Y,   yield not to temptation 

Z,  ????? 

by Elaine Hardt ©2015