Translate

Friday, February 08, 2013

Let's Take a Look at Love

LOVE
Ah, what thoughts this word brings to mind.  It’s a strong word that can also play frivolously.  Did you have a tiny kitten named Lovey?  Years ago, I knew a family with the last name of Lovejoy.  It made my Anderson seem too ordinary.  
I love sweet potato fries.  I love the view from the north rim of the Grand Canyon Lodge.  I love that new, sparkly black and gold scarf.  I love the way the Honda Odyssey is easy to park.  I love that song, “How Great Thou Art.”  Of course, I love my husband.  Well, I could go on, but you get the idea? Love can mean different things.  But, let’s take another look at LOVE. 
“Hurry up!”  you say.  “Get to the point.”  

When you look at other religions you do not find any which believes in a God that loves us, gave us quality rules to live by, and sent His own son to earth to live and die as a sacrifice for our sins.  The Bible says we do not earn or deserve His forgiveness, but it’s freely given when we respond to His love.

The Bible’s famous for its use of the word Love. The New Living Translation has 777 listings for “love,” “loving,” or “loved.”   At www.biblegateway.com it is easy to search for words in over 100 versions of the Bible and 71 languages. 

The famous Love declaration comes in the Ten Commandments, Exodus 20:6
The famous Love psalm in the Old Testament is Psalm 136
The famous Love chapter of the New Testament is 1 Corinthians 13
The famous Love verse of the New Testament is John 3:16
The famous Love exclamation by Jesus is Matthew 22:37-39,                              
         and it’s repeated in Mark 12:30-31 and Luke 10:27.

Take a look at what the Bible says about love.  It's so good to know! 

by Elaine Hardt ©2013