Translate

Saturday, January 26, 2019

He Let Me Write His Love

       It's been over twenty years now, but I remember that girl from the coffee shop.  She sat alone in the corner with a cup of coffee and a donut.
       I'd met three friends from the Exercise Club for our Wednesday coffee time and we sat near the counter, telling jokes and having fun.
       Glancing around the room her eyes met mine and she then turned her head away.  Well,  time to go and at least say, "Hi. I'm Elaine.  We gals from the Exercise Club do coffee here on Wednesday.  You new to town?"
       Her shy smile started us off with a little conversation before I went back to the giggling girls.  That's how our friendship began.
        About three months later she moved to Flagstaff, deciding to enroll in the college there.  What a difference that last day was.  She was now one of the Exercise Girls; smiling and happy.  
       Later, I was inspired to write this:  

                    He Let Me Write His Love

                  I told the Lord I’d write a book,
                      and my fame would bring Him glory;
                         write poetry to honor His name,
                            or perhaps I’d write a story.

                  He gave me someone who needed love
                    when I offered Him my time;
                      I saw Him work a miracle,
                         and now she is a friend of mine. 

                  I could not have foreseen the joy
                     while investing many days;
                        but happiness is a soul redeemed
                          and Jesus gets all the praise.

                   Once ambition called to me,
                      now devotion is sincere;
                        To think He let me write His love
                            on the heart of someone dear.
+ + +
poem by Elaine Hardt ©1998